Lourdes Auxiliary Reaches 500,000 Service Hours
PADUCAH, KY - Paducah Mayor Pro Tem Gayle Kaler will proclaim Wednesday, September 5th as Lourdes Auxiliary Day in honor of the group’s 500,000 service hours to the hospital. There will be a reception held in the Lourdes Marshall Nemer Pavilion lobby from 1 to 2 pm.
The Auxiliary started at Riverside Hospital in 1952 with its focus on offering support and service to Lourdes and to the patients. Auxiliary members live out the Lourdes mission of extending the healing ministry of Jesus by improving the health of our community with emphasis on the poor and under-served.
Over the years, the Auxiliary has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars for patient care needs, supplies, equipment and funds for community projects to enhance patient care. The Auxiliary has grown from the 89 charter members to the present 174 dedicated volunteer membership ranging from age 14 to 93. The auxiliary averages 50,000 service hours a year.
The areas of service have also expanded with volunteers currently serving in 18 departments of the hospital. Some of those include Emergency Room, Maintenance, Operative Care, Outpatient Registration, Information Desks, Gift Shop, Foundation, Accounting, Human Resources and our Shuttle service.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities at Lourdes, contact Shannon Courtney at 270-444-2552.
• Ruth Purcell has been with the Auxiliary since 1970 with a total of 42 year of service.
• Inez Stiner has the most service hours of 23,000 hours
• They currently have 174 Auxiliary members
• There are 13 Auxiliary members that have been here 25 years plus
• The Auxiliary started at Riverside Hospital in 1952
• The first Auxiliary President, Mrs. Russell E. Schneider, was elected in 1953
• There were 89 charter members and 8 associate members.
• In 1971, Lourdes moved to it's current location, where shortly after Mr. Pat Richie & James Carrico became the first male Volunteers.
In 1997 Ms. Nina Hendon became the first President of the Kentucky Hospital Association from this area. Ann Watkins, past Auxiliary President, currently serves as Vice President and will take the role of Association