Review of Carter Incident Wrapping Up
By Bill Hughes/Levi Holsapple
PADUCAH, KY - The results of an investigation are expected Monday regarding an altercation involving the McCracken County emergency management director.

McCracken County Attorney Mike Murphy says his investigation will be complete by close of business on Friday, August 1.

Murphy says he has made arrangements to speak with all necessary parties by the end of this week. He also says the police report and dashcam video is on his desk for review.

Murphy said he doesn’t know whether Director Paul Carter has been placed on a temporarily suspension since the investigation is ongoing.

“I’m not aware that he is, or isn’t.” He says that’s a question McCracken County Judge-Executive Van Newberry will have to answer. Calls to Newberry have not yet been returned.

Murphy says he will use the weekend to “ponder” and “think it through,” and deliver a conclusion on Monday. He says the time will allow him to decide if the Fiscal Court needs to take action.

In the police report, towtruck operator Anthony Hess claims he was assaulted. Murphy says the police report was written for fourth-degree assault but also lists third-degree terroristic threatening.

Murphy says, that in any case of this nature, if law enforcement doesn’t see incident, it’s up to the victim to petition the court on a criminal case. He says that has not yet occurred, but there is still a possibility it could happen.

Following the outcome of his investigation, Murphy says it really depends if the towtruck driver wants to file further complaint.

Murphy says he is conducting a twofold investigation saying, “My investigation is on behalf of the fiscal court. Also, I am an elected prosecutor looking into the incident for multiple purposes; but all together, “trying to get to the bottom of it.”

The incident last Saturday at an accident scene involved towtruck driver Anthony Hess, who used to work for Carter, and current employee Donnie Lanier. As Hess was attempting to remove a vehicle, he was approached by Carter, who demanded the return of a jacket. Hess told Paducah Police Carter screamed threats at him and grabbed him by the throat.

Carter initially told police that nothing happened, but when confronted with dashcam video from a cruiser, he said Hess hit him first, and he held him back by pushing on his chest.

Published 04:42 PM, Thursday Aug. 01, 2013
Updated 01:15 PM, Thursday Aug. 08, 2013

Please login to leave a comment.
  • View Comment
    View (12) Comments